The Knysna Speed Festival is an annual events and takes place in various locations around Knysna. This year the event will be held from the 12 to the 20 May 2012. The event first came into fruition in 2009 and since then has acclaimed itself as a premier event on the South African motorsport scene.
Initially, the Festival hosted one main event, the Renault Simola Hillclimb, but with a huge increase of participants and spectators, the Festival organises included Knysna Kart Grand Prix, Knysna Motor Show, Knysna Slot Car Challenge, Knysna Soap Box Derby and the Knysna Speed Festival Golf Day to the programme.
The Festival is the first multiple-event motorsport and motoring gathering of its kind ever to be organised in South Africa and with ever-increasing participation and interest their hope is that the Festival will be a South African version of the Daytona Speed Week held annually in the USA and the Goodwood Festival and Revival in the UK.
The Knysna Speed Festival’s aim is to attract visitors to the beautiful town of Knysna to enjoy a relaxed atmosphere of motorsport and motoring activities. The week incorporates a variety of events that will not only boost economic activity in the town, but will also benefit our nominated charities.
- Kart Grand Prix
- Held at Thesen Island Harbour Town.
- Mini “Singapore Grand Prix” which is raced at night under lights.
- “A must-do in your karting lifetime”
- 4x4 Events a) 4x4 Challenge
- A new event at the Festival to be held on the 13th May.
- Participants are to tackle a series of obstacles, time trials and progressive obstacles.
- Prizes available.
- To the held at the Denron Quarry on the R339 (Knysna to Uniondale Road).
- Available on site will be Motoring related stalls.
- For more info, have your queries satisfied by contacting Mario Ferreira on 082 490 27 52 or at firstname.lastname@example.org b)
- 4x4 Elephant Trail
- This Eco-friendly event traverses exclusive SANPARKS and Cape Pines trails and aims above all to have a minimum impact on the forest.
- It will be held from the 14-16 May 2012.
- Trails are 6-7 hours in length- be prepared!
- For more info, have your queries satisfied by contacting Mario Ferreira on 082 490 27 52 or at email@example.com
- Motor Show
- Event is organised by the Garden Route Motor Club.
- 200 Classic Cars to participate.
- Knysna Slot Car Challenge
- This is a scholar car challenge which aims to introduce children to motosports.
- All cars are provided by the organises and are to equal specifications.
- Soap Box Derby
- Kids event: Children from the local community and from private schools are encouraged to join and is a hugely popular event.
- Children have to build, paint and decorate their own carts. Materials are supplied before the event to give the children enough time to prepare.
- The race will be held on the Thursday and Friday prior to the Hillclimb on a portion of Simola Hill.
- Knysna Speed Festival Golf Day
- This is the official Speed Festival charity fund-raising event.
- ALL proceeds go to charities.
- In 2011 alone, the Golf Day event raised R46500.
- The event is held at the prestigious Simola Golf Course.
- Renault Simola Hillclimb
Originally the Renault Simola Hillclimb was held as one event. This year it’s been split in two to accommodate both the ‘oldies’ and the ‘newbies’.
In the past Sarel van der Merwe, Ian Scheckter, Jaki Scheckter, Geoff Mortimer, Robbi Smith, Mike Briggs, Deon Joubert, Geoff Goddard, Duncan Vos, Wilhelm Baard and twice World Motocross Champion Jean Michel Bayle have all participated.
Likewise the list of beautiful cars that have taken part in previous years are classics such as a Porsche 956, Porsche 917 recreation, and a 1961 LDS Formula 1.
- Classic Car Friday
- Historic cars manufactured before 1974.
- Prizes will be awarded for the Best Period Dress!
- The Classic Car Friday will allow only 80 participants this year to ensure that the criteria is fulfilled and to maintain the events high standards.
- Only the best cars and competitors compete.
- Enter Online
- King of the Hill Shootout
- Any ‘modern’ car may enter.
- The King of the Hill Shootout will allow only 80 participants this year to ensure that the criteria is fulfilled and to maintain the events high standards.
- Only the best cars and competitors compete
- Celebrities are to join the event.
- Classic Car Friday
Renault in South Africa - In the mid-1990's Renault was not a familiar brand name to the average South African. The older generation had some recall of the Renault 5 of the Seventies and, if they were motor sport enthusiasts, they may have been able to make the connection with the all-conquering Renault V10 Formula 1 engine then powering Michael Schumacher to victory after victory on the world's racing circuits.
- For Frequently Asked Questions, click here: http://www.speedfestival.co.za/index.php/faq
- For News about the Festival, click here: http://www.speedfestival.co.za/index.php/news
- For Venue Locations and Maps, click here: http://www.speedfestival.co.za/index.php/general-info/map-a-viewing-sites
- To learn more about Social Responsibility Projects, click here: http://www.speedfestival.co.za/index.php/general-info/social-responsibil...
All events other than the Renault Simola Hillclimb, the Motor Show and the 4 x 4 Challenge offer free entry to spectators.
Renault Simola Hillclimb:
General Admission tickets are available during the weekend of the Hillclimb at the gate only.
General Entry Adults - R30.00p/p
General Entry Children (12 and under)- R20.00p/p
Pit Lane Access - R25.00p/p
Grandstand - Limited free seating
Pit Club VIP - R330.00 for single days (Saturday OR Sunday) and R550.00 for both Saturday AND Sunday
Drivers of classic and exotic cars will be allowed free entry on the proviso that the car is parked in the designated Classic Car Paddock Area. Passengers will be required to pay the normal entry price.
Tickets are available for purchase at the gate
Adults - R20.00p/p.
Children (12 and under) - R 5.00p/p
4 x 4 Challenge:
Tickets are available for purchase at the gate
Adults - R20.00
Entry Children (12 and under)- R10.00p/p
The Knysna Speed festival is not to be missed out on! Don’t believe me? Read below for testimonials. "Just a short note to thank you guys for all the fun I had over the weekend. Three days of solid smiling had my face feeling sore at times. AMAZING event. Didn't hear anyone who thought differently. Well done and thank-you," Ron Hollis.
Filmmaker and historic driver, Anton Rollino has this to say about the 2011 event “…. I have had the privilege of competing in Germany, Australia and at every circuit in SA and the Knysna Speed Festival tops them all when it comes to organization, quality of entry, value for money and the general ‘gees’ that prevails……”
"Firstly, a HUUUGE thanks to you and the obviously highly effective team that put together this year’s Knysna Hillclimb. As you stressed right at the beginning, this is a fun event, and I heard not a single grumble from anyone as circumstances threw every possible curve-ball in your way. If anything, those curve-balls made for even more interesting event, not that I would wish the weather to be quite so spiteful in future. Thank you, thank you, thank you," Peter Little.
Stay at our Knysna Accommodation
and see the Knysna Speed Festival.
Related: Knynsa Speed Festival 2011.