The exciting annual Vodacom George Cheese Festival has, over the years, firmly established itself as one of the premier food events in the Southern Cape and, last year, attracted over 10 000 visitors. The Festival takes place from Friday 29 July until Sunday 31 July 2011, with the Outeniqua Primary School grounds hosting the main festival events.
The George Cheese Festival is a magical mix of culinary experiences, sporting events, fun for kids, music, fashion, port, brandy and more, with over 80 exhibitors – a fantastic array of events and activities to put some warmth into your winter!
Pre-festival events kick off with an amazing Neil Diamond and Abba Gala Evening on Wednesday 27 July. This choreographed and costume show in the Hospitality Tent will feature all your favourite songs by these two incredible artists. Bring along your picnic basket - a cash bar will be available.
The Checkers Food Wine and Fashion Show takes place in the Hospitality Tent on Thursday evening, 28 July. The latest fashion designs by celebrated South African fashion designer, Errol Arendz, will be presented together with music from one of South Africa’s best pianists, Rocco de Villiers. Wine Master Junel Vermeulen will elaborate on the finer aspects of good wines.
Friday July 29 sees the start of the festival ‘proper’ at 15h00. The Mc Donalds Kids Zone however opens earlier at 13h00 – this fun zone includes jumping castles, a Mechanical Bull, sand art, a Giant Slide, the Parachute Rocket, the Zorb Ramp Balls, food stalls and an exciting Boeresport program. The sporting events kick off earlier too with the GR8 Tennis tournament starting at 14h00.
Main festival events include:
- Tour de Cheese – sample a delectable range of homemade cheeses presented by Kobus Mulder, South Africa’s only international cheese judge. Wine pairings will be offered under the watchful eye of Doolhof Cellar winemaker, Friedrich Kuhne.
- Entertainment at the Kuiertent – the Millers Attorneys Kuiertent , which can accommodate over 2000 festival-goers, houses the Vodacom Music Stage. A host of local bands and artists will entertain visitors throughout the festival.
- Brandy Boulevard - KWV will present tempting pairings such as Brandy and Lindt Chocolate and Brandy and Biltong!
- Foodworx Theatre – gourmands should head for the Pick n Pay/Kloppers Foodworx Theatre where local chefs will display their culinary skills. Get a taste of South Africa’s food heritage and possible future!
- Portfolio of Port – port experts will be on hand to guide visitors through the intricacies of appreciating the fine tipple. Port and cheese are natural bedfellows.
- Academy of Whiskey – aficionados are invited to a Johnnie Walker and Lindt chocolate pairing.
- Sporting Events – include road races, tennis tournaments, a golf challenge, netball festival and live Currie Cup rugby on the big screen.
- Elvis Blue – last year’s Idols winner performs in his hometown on Friday, 31 July.
The Vodacom George Cheese Festival has a strong charitable aspect too – over R200 000 has been raised for the local community over the last four years!
Bamboo guests must certainly add The George Cheese Festival to their July calendar.
Visit The George Cheese Festival website for the full program of events.